Who today is the true Labour Party?
In 1900 the party had hardly started out. Labour stood 15 candidates in the general election of that year. Two MPs were elected.
Labour's election manifesto included (these are direct quotations) -
- Adequate Maintenance from National Funds for the Aged Poor
- Public Provision of Better Houses for the People
- Useful Work for the Unemployed
- Adequate Maintenance for Children
- Nationalisation of Land and Railways
- Abolition of the Standing Army, and the Establishment of a Citizen Force
- The People to decide on Peace or War
- Graduated Income-Tax
"The object of these measures [the manifesto continued] is to enable the people ultimately to obtain the Socialisation of the Means of Production, Distribution, and Exchange, to be controlled by a Democratic State in the interests of the entire Community,
and the Complete Emancipation of labour from the Domination of Capitalism and Landlordism, with the Establishment of Social and Economic Equality between the Sexes".
Now, who truly represents the best traditions of labour?
"One Nation Labour"? Or TUSC?